Wednesday 19 May 2010

Thrum


Thank god! We have the flat for 2 extra months. I really didn't want to be looking for a house twice in 2 months, let alone 2 houses in 2 separate cities separated by 2 countries! Sweatchops! So, I now only have regular panic to look forward to. Money. Money... & Money. If you have some, can I?

Seeing as I finally broke the... duck (is that the phrase? I don't want to accidentally out myself. Or do I...) with playlists, I feel I can do the same with this dastardly blog. Happily, making about 4 CDs of playlists, which involved scouring 98 downloads and several ill advised purchases, I actually now have enough new music to keep me occupied.

So! Here's a selection of 5. Play it as it lays, or mix it up. I probably should've thought of an order, but easy does it. Don't wanna break any bones.



1. St. Vincent - Marrow

From the new album Actor, this is my new favourite song, bar none. I can't recommend it enough. The chunky metalled-up-bassoon-funk of the chorus sold me. According to wikipedia, St Vincent, of Polyphonic Spree and Sufjan Stevens fame, (which does her no justice whatsoever), has toured with The National, Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, Jolie Holland, Midlake, Xiu Xiu, Death Cab for Cutie and Grizzly Bear, which I think sums up her appeal quite nicely!

I think it's a song about being stuck in a marrow, with Godzilla Djing (you'll understand when you listen).

2. Johnny Flynn - Kentucky Pill

I think I've pinned it down. A good bassline, a trumpet, a mandolin or banjo, and some acoustic business is pretty much what I'm after. Oh, and a lovely melody. This song has it all, and it's perfect for summer (instant happy). Plus, I'm pretty sure he references Time Bandits.

3. Bishop Allen - I Get Along

I was torn between this and another one by the same artist, but I'll save it for a rainy day. Bishop Allen released 12 EPs in 2006, one every month, and it's all great! They have that easy-listening thing that Cake have in spades. Short and sharp, gets along nicely.

4. Suckers - Black Sheep

This would sound amazing in a club. The drums, the epic vocals, then the mental chorus. Sounds extraordinarily fun to play. The singer gets a bit hyperactive-Caleb Followill at the second chorus, but he's clearly just as excited as you would be jumping up and down singing to this.

5.Neon Indian - Sleep Paralysist

This is a nice follow-up to Quantazelle - Braking (Hushed), which was the opening theme to the robot olympics. This one is more the training montage part, getting through the middle heats of the tournament. Not the grand finale, just the part before it all goes wrong (only to come together at the end! Gold!). *tear* those beautiful robots.



Right, I think I'll go back on what I said. I don't have enough good music. I must reduce my haul into a puree, and then add some more. I'd warmly welcome some suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment