Friday 22 January 2010

My, Outside is Murky





















It's really quite grim outside. I live on the top floor in the middle of about 20 factories, and it feels like a Lowry painting. And I'm a bit skinny, so it fits perfectly.

Went to see Laura Veirs with Miss Deborah and Mr Iwan on Tuesday, as Iwan was interviewing her for a website...somewhere. She has a new album, a new baby on the way, and the songs are quietly confident and ruddy good. Quickly becoming an immensely listenable album. Iwan has a review of the album on his Small World Reviews page, so I won't go into it much. The song Sun is King caught my attention a few minutes ago, so I figured I'd share. It has a lovely drifting country vibe to it, and I'll probably be singing along in a few more listens.

Laura Veirs - Sun Is King

Continuing the low-key mood I'm in, here's one by Karl Blau. He's used to be the bassist for Laura Veirs, and just keeps churning out albums. I haven't been able to get into the latest one, Nature Got Away, but this one song stands out. It's a bit haphazard, but I genuinely believe he lives in the woods and talks to the animals.

Karl Blau - Mockingbird Diet

Next, to go a bit louder, ridiculously titled Manics track that harks back to...well, good Manics. Great guitars and lyrics that are absurdly brilliant, but are probably deadly serious. It's hard to tell.

Manic Street Preachers - Jackie Collins Existential Question Time

This next one is great for late night interweb browsing. I think it's the minimal effort that José Gonzalez puts into his vocals, combined with the Folktronica. Oh, I think that's all there is to the song. Still, great stuff.

The Books & José Gonzalez - Cello Song

And to finish, a slice of Amélie-esque, French market pondering wonderfulness from Swedish Detektivbyrån. Used it to put Deborah's head in Parisian mode in September, and by golly it worked!

Detektivbyrån - Dansbanan

Hope I get some sleep tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment