Friday 22 January 2010

Some 2009



















I sorta forgot to find new music last year. I usually make a CD or 3 for Deborah, but struggled this year, through internet uselessness (5 gb limit?!? F**k off. There goes my US TV habit) and through not being in a house with 5 people anymore. It's the filtering process that's the best part. Downloading about 250 songs based on recommendations from blogs/friends/stuff you stumble upon, then being ruthless (in your own tiny way). Ideally, 20 songs worth, as a CD that's less than full isn't worth it. Well, that's what I tell myself. Clearly I'm not being 'ruthless' enough.

Anyway, here's a few songs from the small pile of data I've accumulated. It won't all be new, but it was new to me.

1. Midlake - Roscoe
Midlake - Young Bride

I got a bit hooked on this album around September, and may have since ruined it for myself through one too many listens. Whoops. Healthy time apart, I think. Brilliant Songs, these two. Pretty much all the album is of this quality, but these two I go back to. Roscoe has a great driving rhythm, and I'm always a sucker for harmonies and Amish imagery.

2. The National - So Far Around The Bend

I can't believe this wasn't even on an album! Such a great song. Uplifting, lots of instruments, doesn't last too long and has a lovely outro. What more could you ask for? Aside from another album.

3. Vitalic - Trahison

I love playing this song straight after the Blade Runner theme (end credit theme, whatever) by Vangelis. Sounds so 80s futuristic and a bit desolate. Of course, that's the imagery of Blade Runner, but it certainly carries on into Trahison. It just keeps building and building. I'd love to listen to it at the gym, whilst trying to stare down a T-100 who's hogging a treadmill. Try it! Link for Vangelis below.

Vangelis - Blade Runner (End titles)

4. Casiotone For The Painfully Alone - Old Panda Days

I love the backwards sounding synths, and the stereo production on the vocals. Reminds me of offloading tracks from my 4-track to the computer, and hearing the separate guitars in either ear, sometimes creating strange effects... anyway, I really like this song. It doesn't take anytime to get to know, you can forget about it for a while, and come back and fit it into any mix. Well, not any mix, but you get the idea. Sounds like certain friends.

5. Andrew Bird - Heretics

I went to see Andrew Bird last year with The Baxtertron (patent pending), and although I only knew about 4 songs, you really didn't need to know any. It's practically a mesmerising one man show, using a violin, his remarkable whistling abilities and a loop pedal (which are always ruddy brilliant). Heretics, as with most of these songs, wasn't out in 2009 (or was it?), but not long before that anyhow. He has that style of playing and singing like he's making it up on the spot, or rather it sounds like he's just having a conversation with someone in the room.

6. Fruit Bats - Rainbow Sign

I first heard this on a Subpop promo CD, and it definitely came out a while ago, but it's been on my endless playlist all year. I hadn't realised til today though, that it's a side project of a Shins member. Who knew? (is that true? Makes sense, same label and it's fantastic!). I really like Silent Life as well, so I'll include that too, though I didn't hear it last year.

Fruits Bats - Silent Life


7. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon

Now, this most definitely isn't new! 1955 maybe? I watched that documentary about Les Paul, and although it was a little like an extended Jack Daniels ad ("Bill? Whyyyy he's just Bill...and John Boy? He's just Jooohnnn boy!!"), and it didn't really go into the Les Paul guitar, but I did learn that he invented multi-track recording! He started recording several guitar parts, harmonies etc. and confused everyone! And he didn't tell anyone how he did it for aaaages.

The vocals on this are crazy, and a little unnerving. The bit around 1 minute 10 with all the harmonies by the same person, in particular, as it builds and builds and then...just carries on as it did before. Listen for yourself.

8. Ratatat - Black Heroes

Sounds like a 60/70s children's TV show, but a really really sad one. Really draws you in.

That's all till later. It's far too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment